Lumen is seeking a highly motivated, innovative Director of Business Development.
The head of business development will be Lumen’s first full-time business development professional, taking on responsibilities previously carried out by the CEO, CFO and VP, Legal Affairs.
This position requires an enthusiastic professional with a background in business development and experience cultivating business relationships in the biotechnology industry, and the ability to pitch, negotiate and close complex licensing and collaboration agreements.
This will be achieved by working internally with the R&D team, external research collaborators, other internal and external business development resources, and Lumen’s legal, finance and strategy teams, to develop, evolve and execute Lumen’s business development strategy. You will then be responsible for establishing, maintaining and managing the non-scientific aspects of these research and collaboration partnerships and partners, both commercial and nondilutive. This will be done internally by working closely with project leaders and managers to ensure that proposed and funded projects are appropriately structured and resourced. You will ensure that the resources are clearly identified and/or recruited, and that appropriate time is billed and reimbursed, and, with the assistance of the project management team, ensure that collaborative projects remain on-time and on-budget. You will work externally to ensure that the reporting and contractual obligations are in place and executed smoothly, advocating internally for these projects where necessary.
Within 12-18 months the successful candidate will have achieved the following goals:
- close at least one significant transaction with a large biopharma company (building on relationship groundwork already laid)
- execute at least one other transaction with biopharma, animal health or other commercial markets
- develop a robust pipeline of additional relationships and dialogue to set the stage for future business development transactions
To be successful, this will entail engaging with internal teammates as well as Lumen’s many external commercial advisors and research collaborators to stay abreast of ongoing clinical and scientific developments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The major tasks for this position are as follows:
- Negotiate, close, and execute deals with commercial partners in identified markets.
- Manage existing business partnerships, and advocate for them internally
- Actively seek new opportunities and cultivate relationships with commercial organizations in Lumen’s technology space
- Speak at industry conferences about Lumen and its technology
- Travel as necessary
- Leveraging external resources, monitor the landscape of nondilutive funding opportunities and formulate funding access strategies that align tightly with Lumen’s long-term commercial goals
Desired and Required Qualifications
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in a biotechnology, medical, or related field
- PhD and/or MBA preferred
- 6-10 years of relevant business development experience in commercial biotechnology companies
- Some experience working in a startup environment preferred
- Proven track record of pitching, negotiating, and closing high-level business opportunities
- Please include a deal sheet with your application
- Ability to manage and expand existing, commercial partnerships
- Additional desirable education and experience:
- Network of contacts in relevant markets
- Experience in vaccine and/or antibody drug development, ideally from discovery to licensure with advanced understanding of the essential activities of all disciplines involved in clinical-stage drug development
- Experience in building, submitting, and maintaining funding grants and responses to RfPs/CfPs
The successful candidate will have the following attributes:
- Knowledge of common biotechnology licensing/collaboration structures and typical “market” contract terms
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Impeccable ability to organize and prioritize
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Self-starter, able to contribute effectively in a fast-changing environment
- High integrity and ethics
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and deal sheet to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Director Business Development job title in the subject line.
This position is available immediately. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt. Only successful applicants will be contacted.