We are looking for a responsible Lab Aide to undertake a variety of lab support tasks within Lumen's Lab Operations team. This position will be supporting a research biology lab actively engaged in developing therapeutics using Lumen’s spirulina platform. This position plays an integral role in supporting a functional research lab and is part of the foundation that keeps a lab running efficiently and smoothly.
This is a full-time, regular, hourly position; 40 hours per week. The work schedule is somewhat flexible, and training will be provided.
You must be organized, detail-oriented, and comfortable working with diverse teams within the company.
The Lab Aide’s responsibilities include working closely with our Lab Operations Team Lead to perform various cleaning, solution/media prep, and organizational tasks. To succeed in this role, you should have excellent time management and communication skills. Ultimately, the Lab Aide’s goal will be to facilitate the effective management of the Lab Operations team, according to the organization’s standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The major tasks for this position are as follows:
- Clean and maintain stocks of laboratory glassware.
- Maintain general laboratory solutions and other reagents.
- Prepare microbiological media (liquid and solid).
- Support Lab Ops in maintaining stocks of consumables items.
- Assist with lab-wide organizational efforts.
- Maintain strains of importance to the company’s efforts.
- May also perform plasmid DNA purification, PCR reactions and other standard laboratory protocols.
Desired Qualifications & Requirements
Education and Experience:
- A biology or chemistry undergraduate degree is preferred. Current junior or senior level undergraduate students with a combination of lab experience may be considered.
- Solid organizational skills, including multitasking and time-management.
- Strong teamwork skills.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Demonstrated mastery of aseptic technique is preferred.
The successful candidate will have the following attributes:
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Self-starter, able to contribute effectively in a fast-changing environment.
- The ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented environment.
- High integrity and ethics.
- Commitment to quality and timely delivery of results.
- Stand for extended periods of time (2 or more hours), including standing on or stepping up onto step stools.
- Sit for extended periods of time.
- Occasionally lift or carry up to 20 kg and reaching over head.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the job title in the subject line.
This position is available immediately. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt. Only successful applicants will be contacted.