Lumen is seeking a full-time Lab Tech on our Strain Engineering team.
The full-time Lab Tech will join an essential team involved in our development of oral antibody-based therapeutics. The team member will be trained and expected to execute leading edge molecular biology protocols, support the construction of novel cyanobacteria strains, and aid in the continued development of protocols that have made Lumen Bioscience the worldwide leader in Spirulina genetic engineering.
The position requires strong organizational skills to meet quality and productivity goals. Effective communication skills are also crucial in coordinating with other members of the team, providing status updates, and raising quality or trouble shooting issues as they may arise.
Starting pay at $19 per hour
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The major tasks for this position are as follows:
- Grow, maintain, characterize, and archive cyanobacteria cell cultures
- Perform molecular biology techniques and general lab maintenance activities
- PCR and PCR troubleshooting
- Bacterial cloning: experience with Gibson, Golden Gate and Restriction Endonuclease cloning systems preferred
- DNA purification: gel extraction, PCR purification
- Sequencing sample preparation and results analysis
- Reagent preparation
- Aseptic bacterial handling
- Preparation and maintenance of DNA and cells for archival purposes
- Provide written reports and regularly present work at group meetings
Desired Qualifications and Requirements
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, or related fields
- Prior laboratory experience is essential, preferably in molecular biology, microbiology, chemistry, or biochemistry. 2 year minimum of NON-COURSEWORK experience. Academic laboratory experience OK.
The successful candidate will have the following attributes:
- Strong communication both written and verbal
- Strong computer, documentation, and time management skills
- Maintain accurate and well-organized laboratory notebooks.
- Commitment to quality and timely delivery of results
- The ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented environment
- High integrity and ethics
- Respect laboratory safety policies and practices
- Sit for extended periods of time (2 or more hours)
- Occasionally lift or carry up to 20 kg
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line.
This position is available immediately. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt. Only successful applicants will be contacted.