Lumen is seeking a highly motivated Production Assistant.
The successful candidate will assist with maintaining Lumen’s production area in a clean and functional state. Primary responsibilities include conducting and documenting daily and weekly cleaning and light maintenance activities, helping with production activities including growing and harvesting algae in Lumen’s photobioreactor system following written Standard Operating Procedures. This position is also responsible for coordinating with the Production Head and Food Safety Team to schedule operations and ensure that operations are compliant with Lumen’s quality management system (FSCC 22000). The Production Assistant schedule will include either a Saturday or Sunday workday as part of the regular work schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Production Assistant is responsible for daily production reactor operations including:
- Strict adherence to food and personal safety standards and protocols to ensure a safe working environment for both the operator and other team members, and production of a safe and compliant food product.
- Cleaning, inspecting, and conducting light maintenance in production areas.
- Assisting with inoculations, transfers, harvests and cleaning activities; conducting daily sampling, sample processing, recording results in lot/batch records.
- Use of pipettes, mechanical pipettors, balances, and spectrophotometer.
- Operation under current Good Manufacturing Practices, requiring careful attention to detail and ability to conduct operations strictly according to procedure under hygienic conditions.
Desired Qualifications and Requirements
- Work experience in a commercial food or beverage production environment or equivalent with clean operations experience
- Ability to understand and follow detailed operational procedures and work instructions
The successful application will have the following attributes:
- Attention to detail and enthusiasm for maintaining the working environment
- Good office-type computer skills.
- Mechanical competence, ability to use pumps and hoses for transfer of liquids.
- Be safety minded: safe and hygienic workplace practices are mandatory
- Experience in sanitary liquid handling (commercial beverage or food processing, brewing, etc.) a significant plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and team focus, along with a desire to learn new processes.
The successful application may have the following desirable attributes and experience:
- Some coursework in biology and or a scientific background in a biology field.
- Some experience working in a production environment that is governed by a quality assurance system such as ISO 9001 or the like, including (i) document control systems, (ii) batch/lot recordkeeping processes, (iii) rigorously documented operating procedures, (iv) regular cleaning and quality testing procedures.
- Ability to lift and carry 65 lbs.; ability to manipulate hoses, air lines, sanitary tri-clamps, etc. overhead. Required to safely use stepstools and step ladders in accordance with Lumen’s workplace safety policies
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line.
This position is available immediately. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt. Only successful applicants will be contacted.