This position will work in the Research and Development team and be engaged in developing and supporting the infrastructure for both technology development and Lumen’s therapeutic programs. Working in concert with the R&D Chief of Staff, this position will actively engage in process, tool, and methodology improvement initiatives, and workflow analysis while using data to help inform decisions.
The work will involve several projects aimed at developing biologic therapeutics using Lumen’s spirulina-based expression system. Areas of emphasis may include automation of purification and strain development protocol and the development of data analysis pipelines.
The position requires the ability to work as a team member and to assist other laboratory personnel as needed. It is central to Lumen’s acquisition and integration of new and complex technologies, and to sharing such capabilities with other teams, and as such, flexibility and independence will be essential.
The position requires strong organizational skills, familiarity with SOPs and quality systems, and meticulous laboratory record keeping. Effective communication skills are crucial in coordinating with Lumen’s production and clinical teams, in providing status updates, and in raising quality or troubleshooting issues as they may arise.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The major tasks for this position will include all or a subset of the following:
- Develop and maintain an in-depth understanding of R&D protocols, workflows, processes, policies, and procedures.
- Gather data, present results, and make recommendations for process efficacy and efficiency enhancements.
- Aid in prioritizing efficiency enhancing projects with a consideration of short and long-term goals.
- Work with research teams to develop methods and adopt new technologies to automate R&D laboratory and data analysis protocols and workflows.
- Work with the Informatics team to ensure integration of R&D processes into the existing LIMS.
- Develop training programs and procedures.
- Work with research teams to assess, understand, and integrate new data.
- Respond to emergent needs and flexibly adapting project timelines.
- Ability to work across different teams with diverse skills, knowledge, and communication styles.
Desired Qualifications and Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Requires a PhD degree (or MS/M.Sc with equivalent experience) in Biology, Chemistry, or Physics
- Requires 3 or more years of independent research in a postdoctoral or industry setting in a preferred field of biochemistry, molecular or cellular biology
- Experience in assay development preferred
The successful candidate will have the following attributes
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Engage with members of the team in experimental design, troubleshooting, data analysis, data interpretation.
- Work well independently and in collaboration across various teams in the organization.
- Self-starter, able to contribute effectively in a fast-changing environment
- The ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented environment
- High integrity and ethics
- Commitment to quality and timely delivery of results
- Maintain accurate and well-organized laboratory notebooks.
- Respect laboratory safety policies and practices
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- A strong desire to be constantly finding ways to increase efficiency and drive improvements
- The belief that anything below excellent isn’t good enough and expects the same from those on your team
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong organizational methods and top-notch multi-tasking skills
- Incessant curiosity, innovative thinking and meticulous work habits
- Sit for extended periods of time (2 or more hours)
- Occasionally lift or carry up to 20 kg
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the job title in the subject line.
This position is available immediately. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt. Only successful applicants will be contacted.