Lumen is seeking a highly motivated, innovative Sr Associate Scientist to join our team. Depending on level of experience and education, this position could be an Associate Scientist, Senior Associate Scientist, or Scientist I (see experience and education requirements below).
This position will closely work with other scientists in R&D group to develop biologic therapeutics using Lumen’s spirulina based therapeutic expression system. The individual is expected to perform a full range of molecular biology related experiments, experiments in protein expression and purification, plan and execute experimental designs and perform biochemical and biophysical techniques used in protein characterization. The position requires ability to work independently with minimal supervision and with teams and assist other laboratory personnel in the developing and application of new techniques.
The candidate is expected to assist in performing quality control tests and performs other related duties as assigned by a responsible authority. The candidate is also expected to independently perform and learn the application of new laboratory techniques; use specialized laboratory instruments; perform delicate manual procedures as required; keep accurate data on experiments; follow and apply standard laboratory protocols and procedures; provide reliable, independent, and versatile support to biomedical research. Communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The major tasks for this position are as follows:
- Protein expression, purification, and characterization to support drug development efforts by Lumen scientists. The tasks include:
- design protein expression constructs
- assess protein biochemical properties to help design protein expression protocols
- perform experiments to characterize protein folding, stability, and protein-protein interactions using techniques including size exclusion chromatography, enzymatic, thermal and pH stability assays, assay for protein aggregation and polydispersity, etc.
- Characterize and maintain spirulina strains.
- Perform biochemical assays including DNA manipulation, PCR, Cloning, SDS-PAGE gel analysis, Western Blot and ELISA.
- Perform lab operations including prepare laboratory reagents, microbiology experiments, and biochemical assays.
- Follow established protocols and optimizes and/or develop new protocols as needed.
- Proper and timely reporting to supervisors and team members following Lumen’s policies.
- Willingness to learn new techniques, protocols, instruments, and software.
- Work well independently and in collaboration across various teams in the organization.
- Maintain accurate and well-organized laboratory notebooks.
- Respect laboratory safety policies and practices.
Desired Qualifications and Requirements
Education and Experience:
- PhD degree in Biochemistry, cell biology, biotechnology, or related field of study with minimum of one year experience in protein sciences or related area (Scientist I); or
- MSc degree in related area of expertise and a minimum of 3 years of experience (Sr Associate Scientist); or
- BSc degree in a related area of expertise with a minimum of 5 years of experience (Associate Scientist).
- Experience in protein expression techniques using bacterial, mammalian and insect cell systems.
- Protein purification using various methods including affinity-based protein purification, ion exchange methods and other related purification systems.
- General molecular biology skills including cloning, DNA isolation, PCR and Q-PCR.
- Experience in protein characterization techniques including liquid chromatography, SDS-PAGE gel analysis, thermal denaturation analysis.
- Expertise in protein expression construct design, codon optimization and structural analysis preferred
- Experience in performing cell based and biochemical /immunochemical assays (ELISA, SDS-PAGE, Western Blot, etc.) is preferred.
- Possess previous experience performing expression and purification of large quantity proteins preferred.
- Possess previous experience characterizing protein-protein interaction preferred.
The successful candidate will have the following attributes:
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Self-starter, able to contribute effectively in a fast-changing environment
- The ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented environment
- High integrity and ethics
- Commitment to quality and timely delivery of results
- Sit for extended periods of time (2 or more hours)
- Occasionally lift or carry up to 20 kg
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the job title in the subject line.
This position is available immediately. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt. Only successful applicants will be contacted.